26/07/12 15:58 Categories: Reflections
I was talking with my girlfriend this morning about the employee benefits that different tech startups offer their employees. For example, Foursquare offers their employees:
1. Free snacks
2. Free coffee
3. Free beer on tap (I can't make this up)
4. Company swag
5. Discounted gym memberships/health and wellness stipend
6. Casual dress code
7. Games room
8. Daily catered lunches
10. Creative welcome packages
11. Free Rdio accounts
12. Amazing medical, dental, and vision coverage (even for dependents)
13. Unlimited sick and vacation days
Foursquare does this because they want to provide a work environment that is healthy, happy, fun, and, most importantly, productive.
There are obviously a lot of differences between an up-and-coming tech startup and the schools we work in. However, the idea of creating work environments that promote productivity through employee perks is one that I find interesting.
So here are my questions:
1. What is your school doing to promote a positive and productive work environment for its staff? What do you wish it was doing? What would you do if you were in charge?
2. What are you doing to promote a positive and productive learning environment for your students? What do you wish you could be doing? What do your students wish you were doing?
Leave your answers in the comments below or join in on the discussion on Twitter using the #peperks hashtag. PS: Don't be shy to dream big with your answers... let's have some fun with this.