#PEChat Prep: Aligning Instruction to Curriculum Objectives
by Joey Feith
The topic for next Monday’s #pechat will be “Aligning Instruction to Curriculum Objectives”.
I’m really looking forward to this chat because I think this is something that, as physical educators, we really need to discuss. Here in Quebec, there has been a lot of talk about the role of the physical educator in our schools. Are they a coach? Are they a wellness coordinator? Are they the health specialist? Or are they all of the above?
In my opinion, the only real question that needs to be asked is “are our physical education teachers actually teaching?” I’m curious to know the percentage of PE specialist in Quebec whose teaching uses our provincial curriculum’s progressions of learning (a.k.a. our grade-level outcomes) to help our students develop competence and confidence in physical activity, sport, and health.
That being said, I think the question of whether or the majority of physical educators are actually doing their jobs as educators can apply to most regions throughout the world.
So, here are our objectives for the chat:
1. To identify the importance of instructional alignment (aligning instruction with curriculum objectives)
2. To identify best practices for instructional alignment in physical education
The chat will be taking place on Monday, April 21 2014. Here are our moderators along with the moderated time zones:
– Kelly Ann Parry (Australia): 7PM Australian Eastern Time Zone (UTC+10:00)
– Nathan Horne (Singapore): 7PM Singapore Time Zone (UTC+08:00)
– Ash Casey (UK): 7PM Greenwich Mean Time Zone (UTC+00:00)
– Joey Feith (Canada): 7PM Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00)
– Adam Howell (USA): 7PM Pacific Time Zone (UTC-08:00)
You can easily follow all of the moderators by visiting our #PEChat Moderators Twitter List.
Finally, to help you prep for the chat (i.e. get your mind going), here’s a list of resources you should check out:
– “Purposeful #PhysEd: A Visual Guide” by Joey Feith
Know of any additional readings you think could help everyone better prepare for our next #pechat? Either fill out this form or share them in the comments below and I will add them to the list!
The countdown is on! I’ll see you all next week!
Joey Feith is a physical education teacher from Canada and the founder of ThePhysicalEducator.com. Be sure to never miss out on any of ThePhysicalEducator.com’s future posts by connecting with us via RSS, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and Email.
March 1, 2017
January 31, 2016
May 8, 2015